Man Utd vs Galatasary betting preview
Manchester United host Galatasaray in round one of the Champions’ League group H on 19th September. With both teams averaging over 3.5 goals per game this season and coming into this match on the back of 4-0 victories, it is likely to be a fierce encounter.
Manchester United crashed out of the Champions’ League at the group stage last year finishing third behind Basel and Benfica. Manchester United are usually prolific at Old Trafford and regularly ease past opponents, but last year only taking five points from a possible nine at home was their downfall, and subsequently meant they missed out on making the knockout stages. Assistant manager Mike Phelan sees that as a blip and a learning curve, and manager Sir Alex Ferguson will be demanding an opening win in the group stages this year to put last year’s disappointment behind them. Choose a free bet for this match here.
Without the injured Wayne Rooney, new £24m singing Robin Van Persie has hit the ground running scoring four goals in his opening two starts. The tricky Dutchman has proven he has what it takes to make the switch to Manchester United after overturning a 2-1 deficit against Southampton with two quick fire goals in the last five minutes to complete his hat-trick and secure the win for United. RVP should be fit to start midweek after coming on as a substitute in the comprehensive 4-0 victory over Wigan on Saturday.
Turkish Super League champions have been inconsistent playing in Europe’s most prestigious competitions, not playing to their potential since winning the UEFA cup and UEFA Super cup double in 2000. After making an impressive start to the season Galatasaray will be anticipating their trip to Old Trafford and will be looking to maintain their unbeaten start to the season against the toughest of opponents.
Toulouse on loan forward Umut Bulut has made an impressive start to his career at Galatasaray scoring four goals in four appearances. The £4m rated striker scored two goals in his debut against Fenerbahce in the Turkish Super cup helping his side eventually win 3-2. Galatasaray also have former Premier League strikers Johan Elmander and Milan Baros (scoring 20 goals between them last season) at their disposal, boasting an imposing attack – which will cause United’s makeshift defence problems.
Opening three league matches:
Galatasaray 2-1 Kasimpasa Everton 1-0 Manchester United
Besiktas 3-3 Galatasaray Manchester United 3-2 Fulham
Galatasaray 3-2 Bursaspor Southampton 2-3 Manchester United
Antalyaspor 0- 4 Galatasaray Manchester United 4-0 Wigan
This opening group stage game at Old Trafford screams goals and promises to be an enthralling encounter.
Both teams have made exciting starts to their league seasons winning two games out of three, and Galatasaray remaining unbeaten. Playing in similar styles both teams have been free scoring and lacklustre at the back, so this promises to be an exciting prospect. Manchester United are likely to win and the odds reflect that, but Galatasaray will be confident going into the match and will not roll over and accept defeat. After last year’s performance in the Champions League and the fact United are missing key players including Wayne Rooney, an upset could be on the cards. Galatasaray to win with a +2 handicap offers fantastic value at even money. Meaning that Galatasaray start with a two goal advantage and even if they lose by a single goal the bet wins. For example, if Manchester United win 2-1 then the bet wins, but if they win 3-1 or more the bet loses.
1) In last season’s champions’ league group qualifications Manchester United surprisingly drew to Benfica and Basel, 2-2 and 3-3 respectively. Manchester United have also conceded a goal in three out of their first four premier league games, whereas Galatasaray have scored at least two in their opening three league matches. Both Elmander and Bulut scored in the weekends 4-0 win over Antalyaspor. The two tricky attackers are clinical finishers and capable of scoring at Old Trafford on Wednesday. Both players offer fantastic value with Elmander 5/1 to score anytime and Bulut 4/1 to score anytime.
2) Both Galatasaray are averaging over three goals per game this season (Galatasaray 4.8g/pg, Man United 3.9g/pg), and it looks like this game will be full of goals. This is reinforced by the head to head records at Old Trafford. Galatasaray have played at Old Trafford twice in the Champions League, losing 4-0 and drawing 3-3. In conclusion, over 2.5 goals at 1/2 and over 3.5 goals at 13/10 look good bets when these free scoring teams meet midweek.
3) Both teams are more than capable of scoring goals, which they have shown in their opening games of the season. The match at Old Trafford promises to be an exciting encounter between two free scoring teams. Manchester United are likely to win the match, but Galatasaray are no push-over and it may be tighter than the betting suggests. United to win 2-1 is 8/1 and a more adventurous score line of 3-2 is 28/1.
- Galatasaray +2 goal handicap @ EVS
- Johan Elmander to score anytime @ 5/1 Umut Bulut to score anytime @ 4/1
- Over 2.5 goals @ 1/2 Over 3.5 goals @ 13/10
- Man United to win 2-1 @ 8/1
- Man United to win 3-2 @ 28/1
*Click here for all the latest odds on upcoming football matches